These are devilishly good (see what I did there?). Ground sugared pistachio nuts are swirled together with sweet and tart raspberry jam for a perfect pastry filling.
This divine mixture is enrobed in a delicious pastry dough containing cream cheese. Beware, the dough must stand in the fridge overnight before using. Thankfully, pulling the rest of the recipe together is a cinch.
The red and green colored filling combination also make it a perfect addition to your dessert table at Christmastime. Yeah, it's never to early to start bookmarking holiday meal recipes, even in sweltering July.
I cut 16 pastries out of this recipe but if you want to make mimi versions, feel free to cut more. I used handmade quality raspberry jam from a local in PA. I was lucky enough to be gifted a jar by a friend. I love the raspberry flavor combined with the pistachios. However, feel free to substitute apricot jam or orange marmalade if you have a favorite preference.
Chill Time: 24 hours
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 16 pastriesIngredients:
- 1+1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pistachio nuts
- 1 small lemon
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons raspberry jam, divided
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cold butter pieces and vanilla bean paste. Knead to combine.Add the cream cheese and knead the ingredients together to form a smooth dough.
- Halve the dough and wrap each section in plastic cling film and place in the refrigerator for an overnight stay.
- Wash the lemon and pat dry. Zest the lemon then cut in half and juice.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the chopped pistachios. Place the rest in a blender or food processor and grind them to dust.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 tablespoons of chopped, ground pistachios, lemon zest and juice and sugar. Divide in half.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove one of the dough packages from the refrigeration. Roll the dough out between plastic wrap on the top and bottom into a 10 inch circle.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the raspberry jam evenly over the dough circle, then spread half the pistachio/sugar mixture over the jam.
- Use a pizza cutter to divide the dough into 8 pieces, like a pizza.
- Working with one "slice at a time, roll up the piece from the pointed side. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a baking rack.
- Repeat the steps above with the other half of the dough.
- Let cool before plating and serving.