It's ramp season and I couldn't be happier. Last weekend I grabbed two of these precious wild garlic bunches at the farmer's market and spent the next couple of days thinking about creative ways to use them.
Horseradish, ramps, and cream, what could be a better savory combination for a sauce? Not much, in my opinion. I also added onions to the sauce for extra flavor but please don't tell the onion it got second billing.
Heavy cream withstanding, this dish is actually pretty light tasting. I used horseradish from the jar but feel free to use fresh.
There will be several more ramp recipes in the next days so watch this space. In the meantime, here are some of my ramp recipes of posts past fame:
|Ramp Potato Swirl Rolls|
|Ramp Shallot Knödel|
|Cheesy Ramp Basil Pull Apart Bread|
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 - 12 oz package of egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 ramps, cleaned, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained.
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the ingredients on the package. Drain and place back in the pot, Cover with a lid to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Add the ramps and onions and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are transparent and the ramps have softened. You may want to reserve some of the ramp pieces for garnish.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the cream and the vegetable broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to low and let the mixture simmer until it thickens.
- Stir in the horseradish a tablespoon at a time.
- Add a teaspoon or 2 of the lemon juice and the pinch of sugar.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and pour the sauce over them. Toss, garnish with the reserved chopped ramps and serve.