I saw a version of this in a German cooking magazine, I tweaked it a bit and added the bratwurst. The original recipe used chorizo.
I put the German back in the dish by adding bratwurst. It's also what I had in the freezer.
This is one of those dishes cooked on a large deep baking sheet that goes on the table right from the oven and looks beautiful. With all these big flavors going on, there's something here for everyone at your table. I added some sprigs of fresh oregano for garnish.
The prep time is minimal. It bakes the oven for an hour which gives you plenty of time in the meanwhile to whip up dessert.
Marinate Time: 3 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
- 8-10 pieces of chicken (a combination of drumsticks, breast and thighs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 oranges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano divided plus a few sprigs for garnish.
- 2lbs small red potatoes
- 6 red onions
- 4 bratwurst or your favorite sausage
- Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil or baking paper.
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry and place in a large bowl.
- Salt and pepper the chicken
- Cut one orange in half and juice and zest one of the halves. Cut the other half into round slices. Cut the other oranges into slices.
- Place the juice and zest in a small separate bowl, add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the chopped oregano and whisk the mixture together.
- Pour them mixture over the chicken pieces in the bowl and toss to coat. Let marinate at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes ant small pieces and evenly distribute them on the pan.
- Peel and slice the red onions into rings and evenly distribute the rings on top of the potatoes.
- Distribute the chicken pieces evenly over the pan and pour the remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Cut the bratwurst into pieces and scatter over the pan.
- Tuck the orange in around the chicken and bratwurst pieces.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoons of oregano over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for
- Remove from oven, transfer to a serving platter, garnish with oregano sprigs and serve.