I love making a winter tart. A warm one dish meal gives you everything you need while looking fancy but not with a huge amount of fuss. Throw down a side salad to accompany the tart and you have an easy meal to make for guests.
One of my favorites is this Pear Camembert Sage Tart.
Many times I do what I call "kitchen sink it". Meaning, I see what's leftover in my vegetable crisper and pantry and throw together ingredients I think might work well in a tart.
This chicken prune version is a version of a quiche I once saw in a German cooking magazine. I was intrigued with the idea of sauteed chicken and prunes together in a winter tart. I tweaked the recipe a bit and encased it in a sour cream crust.
Before placing the tart in the oven, I sprinkled some nutmeg over the top for some added flavor.
Like the Pear Camembert one, this has sage in it as well. I still had some sprigs hanging out on my kitchen windowsill that were not quite completely dried out. You can use dried sage as well.
The tart is delicious. It's golden brown on the top and inside is a combination of cubes of chicken breast, mushrooms and prunes. If you like, add a 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, a mild variety like Monterey jack or Havarti. If you're feeling sassy, switch up the herbs and seasonings to your liking.
Chicken Mushroom Prune Tart
Prep time: 25 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Cook/Bake Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 + 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 +1/2 lbs chicken breast
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1+1 /2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup pitted prunes cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Make the crust:
- Place the all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and mix until combined.
- Cut the unsalted butter into very small pieces.
- Add the sour cream and combine thoroughly.
- Wrap the dough in plastic cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Make the filling:
- Rinse the chicken breast, cut into strips and then small pieces. Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss to season evenly.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry them until are almost cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms, sage, plums and parsley and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 more minutes, until the mushrooms start to soften a bit. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl, add the cream and whisk together. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Assemble the tart:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 12"tart pan.
- Remove the tart dough from the refrigerator.
- turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a circle.
- Transfer the dough circle to the prepared greased pan and use your fingers to crimp the edges all around the pan to form the crust. Use a fork to poke several holes in the bottom of the crust.
- Evenly distribute the chicken, mushroom, plum mixture inside the pan.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture into the pan over the filling.