Raise your hand if you love quick and easy treats for parties.
This recipe is also a fun, no-bake activity to do with your kids but children of all ages will love these.
These went super fast for my because I used ready made eyes that I routinely create from leftover royal icing. Easy instructions below for making your own eyes out of white and black candy melts. You can also use dark or milk or white chocolate to create these. Just substitute them for the candy melts.
The eyes themselves do not have to be white, if you have red, green, orange, yellow or even blue candy melts on hand, use those instead of white for the eyes for a pop of color.
A word about pupil placement when creating the eyes. This can change the personality of the creature you use them on. I love crossed eyes, eyes looking skyward or diagonally together or in separate directions.
If you want more control and for a make ahead, pipe the eyes out first on parchment paper. When the have dried completely, peel them off and attach them to the monsters when wet.
Easy Monster Clusters for Halloween
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 oz (1 package) black candy melts
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 1/4 cup black glitter sugar
- 1 oz white chocolate or candy melts
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and fit each with a baking rack on top. Set aside
- Chop the candy melts into small pieces, reserve 1 melt.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the chopped candy melts
- Stir until combined and everything has melted together.
- Add the cornflakes and stir to coat completely. Remove from heat.
- Use a tablespoon to drop clusters of the mixture one at a time onto the prepared baking racks over the baking sheets.
- Sprinkle the black glitter sugar over the wet clusters.
- When the clusters have dried completely, shake each off to remove the excess sugar and return them to the racks.
- Place the white chocolate and leftover black candy melt in separate bowls and melt in the microwave.
- Use a disposable pastry bag fitted with a #2 tip or snip off a small piece of a corner of a ziplock bag. Fill the bag with the white chocolate and pipe two white circles on each cluster for eyes.
- Use a toothpick dipped in the melted black candy to dot pupils into the center of each white circle for pupils.
- Let the eyes dry completely before plating and serving.