I saw this recipe in a German cooking magazine and knew I had to try it out. The original was designed to be presented in individual glasses. I served this in one large bowl and made some other minor tweaks.
The salad is a stunner in the looks department as well as the flavor and is a great alternative to a green salad for any summer party or meal.
It may look like there are beets in this salad but those are actually purple carrots. I'm always dazzled by the colorful carrots at the farmer's market. This salad is a great way to show them off. I also used yellow and orange varieties.
The carrots are roasted in olive oil with fresh rosemary for extra flavor. The fresh orange fillets add sweetness. If you don't know how to fillet an orange, watch this video.
The toasted almonds and mint add great flavor and crunch. The whole salad is tossed in an orange juice, olive oil honey dressing. This is a lovely, flavorful summer salad and a great way to use up some of the fresh herbs in your garden.
Sweet & Sour Carrot Orange Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield 8-10 Servings
- 2 +1/2 lbs carrots
- 1 teaspoon large grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoons + 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary, stripped and chopped, plus one for garnish
- 4 oranges
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon teaspoon honey or agave
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup unblanched almond leaves, plus a few for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus some for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pee and/or scrub and trim the carrots. Cut them into coins and place them in a bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and the chopped rosemary.
- Pour the mixture over the carrots and toss to coat.
- Transfer the carrots to the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In the meantime, peel the oranges and filet them.
- Mix the orange juice with the honey or agave, the remaining olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the almond leaves in a naked frying pan and roast over a medium flame until they become slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the carrots into coins or sticks, whatever, you prefer.
- Toss the cut carrots in the orange dressing.
- Add the orange filets, mint leaves and almonds and toss.
- Garnish with mint, almond leaves, sprig of fresh rosemary and serve.