One of the cooking challenges I enjoyed most when I was the German food writer for about.com was getting creative with sauerkraut.
|Honey Spiced Sauerkraut & Creamy Carrot Sauerkraut|
The recipe is so simple to make and the herbs add great flavor to the kraut. The 1/2 cup of heavy cream in the recipe does not leave the kraut swimming in cream. Add more if you like.
Or, feel free to lighten up this dish by substituting a low-fat version for the heavy cream. Get creative in selecting a combination of fresh herbs.
This cream herby sauerkraut is a great addition to any late summer barbecue and delicious served with hot dogs, sausages or hamburgers.
Creamy Fresh Herb Sauerkraut
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups plain sauerkraut
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme, tarragon, etc.), plus a few sprigs for garnish.
- Drain the sauerkraut thoroughly and set aside.
- Peel the onion and chop into small pieces.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat the clarified butter over a medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for about a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally until transparent. Don't let them brown. Add the drained sauerkraut to the pan and stir to combine.
- Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of the white granulated sugar over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the vegetable broth and the heavy cream. Slowly pour it into the skillet.
- Add the fresh herbs to the pan.
- Bring the heat to low cook for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Season again with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir in the last teaspoon of white granulated sugar.
- Transfer the creamy herbed sauerkraut to a bowl and serve.