This luscious flavorful streusel cake is so easy to make you won't believe it. It's also a cake you can make in any season. It's considered a cake btw, even though I made it in a tart pan. I'm such a rebel.
One batch of streusel cradles the cake on bottom and top. Add a large jar of sour cherries for the filling and you are good to go. Be aware, the streusel needs to be chilled for 30 minutes, the rest of the prep and baking time is under an hour.
Adding olive oil to the streusel gives it a lovely smooth taste. The better quality extra virgin olive oil you use, the better the result. You can also take it a step further and substitute flavored olive oil. Lemon, rosemary or thyme infused varieties would add another fantastic layer of flavor.
Streusels are fun to play with. Both if you like mixing your ingredients with your hands and also flavorwise. Adding spices, herbs and/or chocolate chips are some other ways to spike your streusel.
Sour Cherry Cake with Olive Oil Streusel
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Chill Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- 3/4 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of sour cherry jam
- 1 lb - 16 oz of pitted sour cherries in a jar
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Grease an 8x10 inch rectangular tart pan or a 10" in diameter round one. The tart pans with the lift-off bottom are the best.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the butter into small pieces
- Place the all-purpose flour, white granulated sugar, salt, lemon zest and olive oil in a bowl.
- Beat the egg in a small separate bowl and add to the streusel mix. Use a fork or your hands to knead everything together to form a streusel.
- Separate out 1/3 of the streusel and press it into the pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the sour cherry jam and whisk until smooth.
- Drain the sour cherries reserving about 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Add the cherries to the sour cheer preserves and mix together.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator. Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the bottom of the shell.
- Layer in the sour cherries and evenly spread the mixture into the shell. Distribute the rest of the olive oil streusel evenly over the cherries.Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the top start to turn golden brown.Remove from oven. When the cake is cool enough to serve. Remove the cake from the pan and serve.