This tart is a cross between a tart and a quiche and stuffed with wonderful ingredients. Leeks, tart Granny Smith apple slices, sweet red bell pepper, and crunchy raw cashews are all nestled in a whole wheat crust.
The tart is topped with strongly flavored Gruyère cheese which enhances the savory taste. You can substitute Swiss variety if the Gruyère is too expensive or hard to find.
A lovely fall savory tart option, this tart has many ingredients but comes together quickly.
If you prefer, you can blanch the leeks in boiling water for 60 seconds before cutting them up to add to the tart.
Apple, Leek Cashew Tart in Whole Wheat Crust
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
BakeTime: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
For the crust:
- 1+1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 6+1/2 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 1 leek
- 1Granny Smith apple
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1+1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3+1/2 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Make the crust:
- Whisk together the whole wheat flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the cold unsalted butter pieces and egg. Use your hands to knead everything together into a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic cling film and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Grease a 9-inch tart pan. Roll out the chilled dough into a circle. Transfer the dough circle to the greased tart pan and use your fingers to evenly crimp the edges.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Make the filling:
- Clean the leeks thoroughly. Dirt accumulates near the stem. Chop the rinsed leeks into 1-inch pieces. Wash the red pepper, pat dry, cut out the stem, middle and seeds and dice the flesh into small cubes. Wash the apple, pat dry. Cut in quarters, cut out the core and slice each quarter into thin wedges.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream and grated gruyere cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the garlic powder and chili powder.
- Arrange the leek, apple and red pepper pieces in the tart shell. Pour the seasoned cream over the everything. Scatter the cashew pieces over the top.
- Place the tart on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.