Bielefeld is a city in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany. This dessert is a regional specialty of the cuisine of that area, which has many international influences.
Crunchy sweet meringue containing rye bread chunks are layered with tart cranberry and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Rye Bread & Cranberry Meringue Pudding
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 8-10 ServingsIngredients:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 slices seedless rye bread, cubed with the crusts left on.
- 1 pint fresh cranberries
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Half and Half
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter or grease an oven proof 2 qt. square casserole dish.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 1/3 cup of the white granulated sugar and pure vanilla extract. Beat the egg mixture just until it becomes stiff. Do not overbeat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks together until they thicken. 5 Lu
- In another separate small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon until combined.
- Gradually add the sugar cinnamon mixture to the egg yolks beating until the mixture is very thick and ribbons form when you pull the beaters away.
- Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into egg whites mixture.
- Fold the cubed rye bread into the combined egg white and yolks mixture. Sprinkle half the fresh cranberries on the bottom of the buttered dish.
- Spread one-third of the egg bread mixture over the berries, then sprinkle half the chocolate chips (3 oz.) over the egg and bread mixture. Cover this with another third of the bread mixture. Sprinkle the rest of the cranberries on top of that then cover the cranberries with the remaining third of bread mixture. Finish by sprinkling the rest of the chocolate chips on top.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes then remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes more or until the meringue on top has browned and a knife inserted in the middle of the casserole dish comes out clean.
- Let the dessert cool down a bit then serve out of the casserole dish with Half and Half on the side.
- Once the dessert is scooped out onto individual serving plates, guests can decide to finish the dessert by drizzling Half and Half over their piece before eating.