If you are looking for something special to do with the last of the summer's fresh berries this Labor Day weekend, here is a gorgeous, creamy dessert that is sure to impress your guests.
This dessert takes about an hour to make including refrigeration/cooling time. If you don't have berries, no problem. It's scrumptious all by it's luscious lonesome self.
Those of you in The States celebrating Labor Day, have a wonderful extra long delicious weekend!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1+3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 envelopes of powdered gelatin
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup fresh berries of your choice (I used a combination of strawberries and blueberries)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the whole milk, vanilla and almond extracts and the white granulated sugar.
- When the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has come to a boil, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Let the mixture cool slightly. Stir the contents of the two packets of gelatin into the mixture to dissolve.
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a separate heat proof bowl.
- Pour some of the hot liquid into the yolks whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg milk mixture back into the pan and whisk to combine.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator, returning to it to stir occasionally.
- When the milk mixture has cooled completely, whip the cream and fold it into the mixture.
- If the mixture still looks grainy or lumpy, place it in a mixing bowl and whip for a minute or two using the whisk attachment until smooth and creamy.
- Wash and dry the berries. If you are using strawberries, slice them into smaller pieces.
- Pour the cream into four dessert glasses or ramkins. Arrange the berries on top and serve.