I set out to make a Valentine's Day version of these pretty tie-dyed butterfly and bunny rabbit marshmallows I made a few years ago.
These definitely did not turn out as well. They look more like Jackson Pollack style marshmallows or more realistically, like St. Valentines Day Massacre marshmallows.
I used a different recipe than last time. The recipe is wonderful, but once these were poured, they set more quickly than I thought they would so I did not have enough time to swirl the colors in properly.
Regardless, these are big, fluffy wonderfully tasting marshmallows. I stuck with the original vanilla extract for flavor originally listed in the recipe and it was perfect.
After I packed them up in cute treat bags, they looked more like appropriate Valentine's Day treats and not like their bloody halloween themed cousins.
Tie-Dyed Homemade Heart Shaped Marshmallow for Valentine's Day
For the Marshmallows:
I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Highly recommend it.
To marble or tie-dye the marshmallows:
- When you prep the pan, choose your colors (use paste food coloring) and place them by the pan with a pile of toothpicks.
- Once you pour the marshmallows into the pan, even the top off as best you can with a spatula and then, working quickly, swirl in the colors.
- When the marshmallows have set, dust your work space with powdered sugar and lift the marshmallow slab out of the pan placing it on the powder sugared surface.
- Place a small bowl of powdered sugar off to the side.
- Using the cutter of your choice, cut out the shapes, dip the sides in the powdered sugar to remove any stickiness and place on a serving platter, or package in cellophane bags. Try to make your cuts as close as possible to avoid waste.
- Cut up the scraps, roll in powdered sugar and feed them to your local marshmallow monster - in my case my husband who lurves them.