Making candy bark for a holiday is always a no brainer. There was a sale on candy melts awhile back and I, ahem, might have overdone it a little. They seem to be spilling out of my cabinets everywhere. I overestimated my candy melt use by about 1000000 bags or so.
For this treat I swirled together a half bag each of red and pink vanilla flavored melts mentally calculating that's one less whole bag that can hit me on the head when I open the cabinet door.
Wrapped up in little cellophane bags and tied with ribbon, these make great Valentine's Day gifts for friends, colleagues, teachers, etc. This Valentine's Day inspired candy bark is sweet and tasty studded with Valentine's Day candy surprises.
Heart Shaped Valentine's Bark
- 1/2 bag each of vanilla flavored red and pink candy melts
- Shortening for greasing cutters
- 1/3 cup each of 3-4 different Valentine's candy (I used Valentine's candy corn, conversation hearts, red heart shaped Sweetarts and homemade royal icing ribbon roses)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grease several (I used 8 medium sized) cutters and place on baking sheet.
- In a heatproof bowl, place the red melts on one side and the pink on the other.
- Microwave the melts 30 seconds at a time, stirring each side separately in between until both sides are melted.
- If the consistency is not thin enough for pouring add a dab of shortening to each side and mix in.
- When both sides are equally melted, gently swirl them together. Do not over mix or you will lose the swirl effect.
- Use a rubber spatula to fill each cutter about halfway. Work with 2-3 cutters at a time.
- Place candy on top, pressing them into the mixture.
- Let cool and harden completely, remove from cutters and serve.