Snowy wintery weather has never prevented me from craving ice cream. In the last months. We've been hit with several storms here in NYC. Take a look at our terrace last week. This was what we saw when we opened the door the next morning after the storm.
This espresso flavored ice cream studded with tangy dried cherries and luscious pecans is so decadent but so worth it.
Now where did I put that snow shovel?
Cherry Pecan Espresso Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup chopped ray pecans
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- In a medium saucepan heat milk, cream, sugar and espresso powder until just about to boil.
- Whisk egg yolks together in a heat proof bowl.
- Slowly pour the cream mixture into the yolks whisking quickly to temper the eggs.
- Scrape the tempered mixture back into the pan and reheat stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens a bit, coating the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain into a heat proof bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the top of the mixture.
- Refrigerate for at lease 3 hours or overnight.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of an ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions.
- When ice cream reaches soft serve consistency, mix in the pecans and dried cherries.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container and place in freezer until it hardens.