This was a last minute throw together for weekend guests. An early morning supermarket sweep surprised me with my favorite Vidalia onions. Usually I can't wait until they are in season. This time they just snuck up on me. I scooped up a package of gorgeous Kumato tomatos, threw a bunch of asparagus into my cart and was on my way to this galette.
I prefer to use whole wheat flour but you can use whatever variety you like.
Once home, I threw the dough together, stuck it in the fridge, then chopped the onions and set them in a pan with butter and olive oil to caramelize. While the dough was chillin' and the onions were caramelizin' I threw the rest of the ingredients into a food processor. Once the filling was done, I shaved the asparagus, removed the dough from the fridge and assembled the tart.
I served this together with an arugula salad sporting roasted bitty baby potatoes and rainbow colored both peppers and tomatoes. This was the perfect lunch.
Whole Wheat Goat Cheese Kumato,
shaved Asparagus Galette with
Caramelized Vidalia Onions
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 T sugar
- 2sticks (1/2 pound) cold butter chopped into pieces.
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Whisk together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the butter pieces. I used my hands to work everything into a crumb like texture but you can also pulse everything in a food processor.
- Add the water a bit at a time until you get the dough becomes smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 45 minutes.
- The egg and water ingredients are for the wash that comes later.
For the filling:
- 3 medium Vidalia onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 Kumato tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I used a homemade mixed herb version)
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 6 oz goat cheese
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup shaved asparagus. Reserve tips.
- Heat the tablespoons of butter and oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions stir to coat them. Occasionally stir until they reach a deep brown color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Coat the tomato slices in oil, sprinkle with the kosher salt and set aside.
- In a food processor, place garlic, goat, ricotta and parmesan cheeses, 3/4 cup of the shaved asparagus ans the egg yolk. Pulse together until blended and creamy. Set aside.
To assemble the galette:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from fridge and place on a lightly floured surface. Pate or roll out into a round or rectangle shape, whichever you prefer.
- Carefully transfer the crust to the baking sheet.
- Spread the goat/ricotta cheese mixture on the dough taking care to leave at least a 2 inch boarder so the sides can be folded up.
- Spread the caramelized onions on top of the cheese mixture.
- Lay out the tomato slices and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of shaved asparagus and scatter the asparagus tips on top.
- Fold up the sides of the dough.
- Whisk together the egg and teaspoon of water and brush over the crust.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.