Let's start of the new year with a spicy, healthier cookie, Shall we? These are in the style of classic oatmeal cookies but I made a few adjustments.
I gave my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe a makeover replacing the white flour and oats with spelt flour and spelt flakes. I ditched the raisins for chopped dried chilis and dried cherries to bump up the flavor.
These were really good. Deep brown sugar flavor, tangy sweet cherries and little bite of chili to wake things up and start the year off right with a few notches down on the guilt scale.
Cherry Chili Spelt Cookies
(Adapted from Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies)
- 1+1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 stick butter softened.
- 2/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 3 cups spelt flakes
- 6 large dried chilis chopped (I used mild flavored guajillos)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add eggs one at a time and then the vanilla.
- Add the cherries and chopped dried chili, mix throughly, then add the spelt flakes until just combined.
- Drop rounded spoonfuls on cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.