Oh yeah. I went there.
Ever since I developed a serious relationship with these mini peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's I have been waiting to use them in a really good baking idea. It was a case of love at first sight.
The dough was spread with peanut butter and then chocolate ganache and sprinkled with mini peanut butter cups. After baking and cooling it was drizzled with peanut butter and chocolate glazes. Then of course more peanut butter cups were sprinkled on top.
What? I had some left over.
This is a killer decadent pastry for peanut butter cup nuts like me.
Me and mini peanut butter cups won't be breaking up any time soon.
Peanut Butter Cup Sticky Rolls
For the rolls:(Adapted from Lemon Sticky Rolls from The Kitchen)
- 1 envelope active yeast
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 12 oz packages of mini peanut butter cups
- 1 oz jar of creamy peanut butter
- chocolate ganache (I doubled this recipe from Joy of Baking)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Add the yeast to the warm milk in the bowl of mixer.
- With the paddle attachment, stir in the butter, sugar, vanilla and 1 cup of flour.
- Add salt and eggs and about 3 + 1/4 cups of flour.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead until an elastic dough forms.
- Lightly spray the dough with vegetable oil. turn over and spray the other side.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a towel. Leave in a warm place to rise. The dough should double in size. This takes at least one hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle shape.
- Using a silicon pastry brush, spread the peanut butter out over the dough.
- Spread the warm chocolate ganache over the peanut butter.
- Sprinkle with one package of the mini peanut butter cups.
- Roll into a log starting from the long side of the rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into one inch pieces and place snugly together in the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan.
- Drizzle the glazes over the top and sprinkle with remaining mini peanut butter cups.
For the peanut butter glaze:
(From All Recipes)
- 8 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1+ 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- Whisk everything together in a bowl.
- Add more water if consistency is not thin enough for drizzling.
For the chocolate glaze:
(Barely adapted from All Recipes)
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Melt everything together in a double boiler.
- Whisk until smooth.