This was my first attempt at a galette. Actually I made one the day before with just peaches to bring to a party and it was a big hit. However I thought adding the ground cherries would kick up the flavor a notch. It did and I am in love with these little pineapple tasting cuties.
The peach only version was so covered in peaches, you could not see the cream filling. I used the fruit more sparingly this time. Either way, this is a winner. The spelt brown sugar cinnamon crust was sticky to work with but wonderful in taste.
I added almond extract and a splash of cognac to the mascarpone which balanced the fresh fruit flavors perfectly.
Peach & Ground Cherry Tomato Galette
with Spelt Brown Sugar Cinnamon Crust
For the crust:
(Adapted from Martha Stewart)
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of organic butter cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- extra flour for rolling out the dough
- Pulse the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt together in a food processor until just combined.
- Add the butter and pulse until a dough forms.
- Add the water and pulse once more until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the filling:
(Adapted from Summer Fruit and Sweet Cream Galettes from Three Many Cooks)
- 2 medium-large ripe peaches
- 1 1/2 cups ground cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg separated
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cognac
- brown sugar for sprinkling
- De-husk the ground cherries and slice the peaches. Set aside.
- Mix together the cheese, sugar, egg yolk, cornstarch, extract and cognac.
Make the galette:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the crust dough out on a floured surface. My dough was really sticky so after flouring and rolling it somewhat flat, I transfered it to the baking sheet (also sprinkled with flour) and rolled and shaped it there. I chose to make a rectangle shape instead of a round one.
- Once the dough is flat, spread the cream inside leaving a 1 inch border all around.
- Pinch the border to form a crust and brush it with the egg white.
- Arrange the fruit on top and sprinkle brown sugar over the entire galette including the crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust has browned and caramelized.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.