As promised here is the first of the three ice cream flavors I made for my Banana Macsplit. The best part of this decadent delight is no ice cream maker required. That wasn't my intention, but after cooling the mixture in the fridge, it was way too thick to put in the machine. My ice cream maker subsequently heaved a sigh of relief. It seriously need a break. I was pleasantly surprised because eliminating this step meant I was that much closer to tasting the final product.
This ice cream is more like a gelato in texture and has deep flavor. A little goes a long way on a dessert plate.
I had both pistachio and caramel cream in my pantry so I didn't have to make either. Both are from a German supermarket. They're sweet and have the consistency of peanut butter or Nutella.
Peanut butter and/or Nutella would also work great in this recipe.However, if you are set on using the same flavors I did, I am sure you could make your own pistachio cream using pistachio paste or butter and adding powdered sugar. Also, I found something which looks to be similar to what I used here. The caramel cream is a mystery but I did find this video recipe which looks similar and will definitely try it out in the future.
Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Pistachio
and Caramel Cream Swirls
(Loosely adapted from The Best Chocolate Ice cream Ever by angiemckaig)
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons instant expresso powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 7 ounces dark chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup pistachio cream
- 1/2 cup caramel cream
- In a medium saucepan heat cream, milk, cocoa, expresso, sugar and salt until starting to bubble.
- Whisk egg yolks until smooth and slowly pour the hot liquid into the yolks whisking constantly to temper.
- Scrape egg mixture into the sauce pan with the rest of the hot liquid and heat stirring frequently.
- When the mixture has thickened (coated the back of a wooden spoon) strain into a heatproof bowl.
- Rinse and dry the pan (or swap for a new one) and pour the strained mixture back into the pan.
- Add chocolate and stir until just combined.
- Return the mixture to a heatproof bowl, zap the pistachio and caramel creams in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them a bit, then swirl them into the chocolate mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap making sure it touches the top of the mixture.
- Cool in fridge for at least an hour then transfer to a container and store in freezer until it hardens.